I cracked a smile when reading the below two blog entries about self-righteous, forceful, extreme activists. I have come across plenty of these people too, some of which are my friends, and sometimes I feel that I am playing that role of the self-righteous activist myself. I sometimes catch myself angrily debating/judging people on their decisions, for example to eat meat mostly every day or contribute hugely to consumerism.
- Stay self-depreciating and critical of oneself
- Don’t cross the line into arrogant, self-righteous, bullying territory
- Keep a sense of humour and be optimistic and positive (this will lead to change sooner)
- Have clear goals and focus to create global change (again leading to sooner change)
- It’s not about you/your activist image/your purpose in life, it’s about the actual issues
I guess in conclusion it’s about sticking to your beliefs and trying your best to encourage positive evolution of societies and the way of life on the planet, without forcing your ways on others or being rude towards them. We’re all in it together…?